Once considered a transitional year between home and school, kindergarten now represents a child’s first year of formal education.
About Kindergarten in Salem-Keizer
All Salem-Keizer elementary schools are committed to helping each kindergarten student make as much social and academic progress as possible while developing confidence and a love of learning. School principals and staff are here to help your student take this important first step into education and Dual Language programs are available.
Kindergarten registration for the upcoming school year opens in early March! Enrolling your child in school early allows your child’s school to prepare for the best possible education for your child, including planning for classrooms and teachers, as well as giving your child the time, support and resources to prepare for the incoming school year.
Children who will be five years old on or before Sept. 10, 2024 are eligible to register. For information about registering for kindergarten, call your assigned school or call the Office of K-12 Education at 503-399-2632.
Find Your Student’s Assigned School
If you are not sure which school is in your neighborhood area, find your school based on the address where your child lives with our Find My School and Bus Route app.
You can also call the Boundary Information line Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 503-399-3246.
Gather The Documents Needed to Register
To register a child for kindergarten, we ask families to please provide:
- An updated record of your child’s immunizations – See Health & Immunizations for more information
- A document to show proof of age
- A document to show proof of residence
Complete Your Student's Registration
If you prefer to use a paper form rather than online registration, you can:
- Download the form in English or Spanish.
- Next, email your completed registration forms to the Elementary Education office.
Getting a great start in school will help your child get a great start in life. Children do better in school and enjoy school more when they enter kindergarten with a few basic skills. If you have questions about how to help your child get ready for kindergarten, please contact your school principal.
- Kindergarten Readiness – CCTV Production (English)
- Kindergarten Readiness – CCTV Production (Spanish)
- Preparing for Kindergarten – SKPS Production (English)
- Preparing for Kindergarten – SKPS Production (Spanish)
- Getting Ready for Kindergarten Workbook (PDF in English)
- Getting Ready for Kindergarten Workbook (PDF in Spanish)
- Vroom Brain Building Activities
- Bus Rider Registration
Help Children Get Kindergarten-Ready
- Hold and use a pencil, crayon and scissors correctly.
- Write their name with correct capital and lower case letters.
- Identify numbers, basic shapes, colors and patterns.
- Learn how to take turns and share with others.
- Follow simple rules, routines and directions.
- Identify the letters of the alphabet.